1920 - 1940

In 1922, ownership of the College passed to a Trust set up by the Old Boys and in 1923, a Royal Charter reconstituted the College. Indeed, throughout its history Dover College has had linked with the Royal Family. In 1909 Canon Compton was presented to the Prince of Wales, later to become George V. In 1921, Lee welcomed to the College the Duke of York, later to become George VI, and Her late Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was he College’s last Patron.

George Renwick became Headmaster in 1934. An ex-Olympic athlete he continued the expansion of the College and was responsible for the promotion of the College as a centre of sporting excellence.